This dish is quick and easy because everything
cooks in one skillet. It gets it's great flavor
from sun-dried tomatoes
along with fresh spinach, and garlic.
You'll also need Italian sausage-sweet or hot.
(I used a combo of both), milk, chicken broth,
parmesan cheese, olive oil and salt.
Chopped onion, garlic and sun dried tomatoes.
I like to evenly divide the penne into two jars.
This easily measures out the 8oz.
(I use lots of these jars for storage)
This way I'll have another 8oz ready to go.
Heat the olive oil in a large 12" skillet until
shimmering. Add the onion and 1/2t salt
and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
Squeeze the sausage out of it's casing and
brown, breaking it up with a wooden spoon
until no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant,
about 15 seconds.
Sprinkle on the sun-dried tomatoes.
I will chop them next time. These were too big.
Now here's the fun part......
Sprinkle the penne evenly over the sausage.
No need to mess with another pot to cook
the pasta. You could do this whole dinner in an
electric skillet anywhere.
Now pour 2C of chicken broth over the pasta,
I used one small can.
Pour the milk over. I used whole milk even
though we don't drink it. We drink skim.
I'll use the rest in other dishes like pancakes
or mashed/scalloped potatoes, oatmeal.
But you can use whatever you have.
Bring to a simmer and cover.
Let simmer for about 15 minutes until
the pasta is tender, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the fresh spinach a handful at
a time and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes.
Stir in the parmesan cheese.
Taste first to see if it needs a bit more
salt and pepper. It will depend on the sausage,
broth and cheese that you've used.
Crusty bread and a salad are all that's needed.
That is if you want to mess up another bowl.
Skillet Penne and Sausage
.....a one pot dish.....
Ingredients1T olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 lb Italian sausage, sweet or hot, casing removed
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 C sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil, rinsed and chopped
8 oz penne or similar pasta
2 C low sodium chicken broth
1 C milk
1 bag fresh baby spinach, (5-6oz)
1 oz parmesan cheese, grated (1/2 C)
1. Heat the oil in a large 12" skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and salt cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
2. Squeeze the sausage from the casing and add to the pan, breaking up with a wooden spoon until browned, about 4 minutes.
3. Stir in the garlic and cook another 15 seconds until fragrant. Sprinkle the sun-dried tomatoes and the penne evenly over the sausage.
4. Pour the broth and milk evenly over the pasta. Bring to a simmer and cover. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to cook until the pasta is tender, about 15 minutes.
6. Stir in the spinach a handful at a time and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. stir in
the parmesan cheese and taste for seasoning, adding salt and pepper if desired.