Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Easy Bearnaise Sauce






When my daughter Kim was a little girl she would make pretend bearnaise sauce in the bathtub with her toys. She would use her "Julia Child" voice. Her idea of a kid's meal in a restaurant was either the escargots or a lobster tail. The waiter was always amazed. Later her little friend introduced her to Spaghetti-O's. I still can't smell them without gagging.

Here's an easy bearnaise sauce recipe  that doesn't require a double boiler or reducing the liquid. It's a variation of my easy hollandaise sauce (which I'll post later). It's my favorite sauce! It's a buttery, tarragon sauce that's fabulous with steak. I love eating at French bistros. One of my favorites is the Steak Frites (steak and fries) to say French fries would be redundant. It's always served with bearnaise sauce. Now you can have a little French bistro at home. Bon Appetit!

Easy Bearnaise Sauce

1 stick butter, cut up
1 T lemon juice
1 T tarragon vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
1 T minced fresh chives (here)
1/4 t salt
1/2 t dried tarragon
2 XL egg yolks
pinch pepper or cayenne

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Place over low heat. Whisk until the butter melts, then whisk constantly until thickened. Immediately remove from heat otherwise it will break down. Whisk again.


tip: use the chives from you herb garden.
(click on MAY DAYS blog on the right)

22 comments:

  1. Sorry, but how much is a stick of butter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A stick is a US measure and I guess you're somewhere else like me! (UK) A stick is roughly 110g I believe, hope this helps!

      Delete
  2. Great recipe! I used white wine inside of lemon juice and shallots in place of the chives. My boyfriend was veey pleased! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually I add a piece shallot, too. It gives a special taste for it. This sauce is best serving over a grilled steak. Deeeelicious!:-)

      Delete
  3. Yes, I'm in Australia! Thanks, that helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, but how much is a stick of butter?

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Rita, I'm about to make this recipe for Christmas day. Sweltering in 30 degree summer in NZ and wanted something simple!

    Cheers Richard

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is a T...is it a tablespoon/teaspoon???

    ReplyDelete
  7. anbody know what a "T" is - a tablespoon or a teaspoon?

    ReplyDelete
  8. A large T always represents a
    Tablespoon and a small t is a teaspoon. D is a dessertspoon MW April 29

    ReplyDelete
  9. Accidentally bumped myself here while looking for a bearnaise sauce recipe. Delighted! And the music needs to be on for full enjoyment of your site. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gonna try this today...hoping for good results!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Directions should emphasize to immediately remove from heat once thickened, otherwise it will breakdown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What happens if it breaks down? Is there any saving it?

      Delete
  12. Gosh that is such a great and easy sauce!
    I usually can't be bothered with the fuss of Bearnaise sauce, but this recipe was so easy! And the sauce tasted better than my traditional Bearnaise.
    Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. can this be made early in the day and reheated just before serving? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Easy and great recipe! I made it as a dipping sauce for fish and chips, and it was wonderful! All the other bearnaise recipes I found made it needlessly complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is my go-to for steak night at our place. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete