Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Walkabout Soup

This is a creamy onion soup that's like the
Walkabout soup served at the Outback.
Perfect soup for a winter day.
It's very easy to prepare. You'll need:
beef bouillon cubes, onions, flour, salt, pepper, 
cream, and shredded cheese. 
It's been in my recipe basket for over 15 years.
 If you can boil water
and slice an onion, you can make this soup.
Bring 8 cups of water and 8 bouillon cubes to a boil.
 Add the onions salt and pepper.
Simmer covered for 1 hour.
 Then gradually whisk in the flour.
The lumps will dissolve with an additional
 30 minutes of cooking.
Whisk until smooth.
Add the cream.
 Whisk to blend
 Stir in the cheese.
Let simmer another 5-10 minutes.
Serve!
My grandchildren loved this soup.
 Just remember to call it
Walkabout Soup and don't mention the onions.

Walkabout Soup
8 C water
8 beef bouillon cubes
3 onions, cut in half and thinly sliced
1 t salt
1 t pepper
3/4 C flour
1 C heavy cream
1 C shredded cheddar cheese
Bring the water and bouillon cubes to a boil.
Stir until dissolved. Add onions, salt and pepper. 
Cover and simmer for 1 hour. 
While stirring, slowly whisk in the flour.
Simmer covered for another 30 minutes,
whisking occasionally. Lumps will dissolve after
 additional  cooking Stir in the cream  then add
the cheese. Simmer another 5-10 minutes. 
Serve with a little cheese sprinkled on top, if desired.
8 servings/200calories
Enjoy!

13 comments:

  1. Rita, I just bookmarked your walkabout soup and cranberry oatmeal. You always have the best recipes...I've made your key lime pie many times. The comment about south Florida peaked my interest. I live just below Sarasota(and I'm freezing)....do you mind sharing where you live? Look forward to many more great recipes. Liz

    ces2147@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soup was great, except, the onions disintegrated and I had to add more. Won't simmer as long. But thanks it was great.

      Delete
    2. Yes the onions do melt to form more of a creamy soup. If you like them more like onion soup simmer for less time. You'll still have the same flavor, Thanks

      Delete
  2. Looks delish...I have never had this, so it is new to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That soup sounds wonderful and perfect for the cold weather we're having here in California! Will try it later this week - have the ingredients on hand, so another reason to try the recipe. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great onion soup recipe Rita; I am printing it out and making it very soon.
    My husband loves onion soup and this one looks Special!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great recipe! What size Dutch oven are you using for this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say the name caught my eye. It looks and sounds delicious! I have a feeling this will end up on the table this weekend! Thanks for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great recipe! What size Dutch oven are you using for this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Irish/Russian nephew saw 'walkabout soup' on a menu in Waterford, Ireland and has been really tickled by the name. I said I'd google it and get back to him. Do you know why it is called so. Would love to get back to him with your answer but can always make one up! He's 7!
    And I must make it too....sounds yummie!
    Thanks and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks and sounds amazing! Also, love that every picture shows a Longaberger item. It looks like my house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope you enjoy it in the appropriate bowl ;)

      Delete