Pages

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Classic Tuna Noodle Casserole for Throwback Thursday

I was craving tuna noodle casserole today. 
Maybe because it was raining. Maybe because
 I thought I might be coming down with
something. Whatever the reason,
it was just what I needed. 
It's comfort food.
Tuna used to come in 7oz cans, now like most 
everything else they have changed the size 
to a smaller amount (why do they do this?? 
I'd rather pay a little more for sizes that
 make sense!) Now the tuna can is 5oz.
But I digress...
It still works with this recipe.
Assemble all the ingredients.
If you have a small kitchen scale, weigh out
 your dry noodles to get 6oz. It's about 3C dry.
It's not a lot of noodles, but don't be
 tempted to use more or you'll end up 
with a dry casserole. 
 Mix everything together in a large bowl.
 Put into a buttered 2qt casserole. 
I used one of my vintage blue Corningware 
casseroles to go with this throwback dish.
Top it with buttered breadcrumbs and
bake for about 20 minutes @400º.
Eat while watching reruns of 
"The Brady Bunch".
Tuna Noodle Casserole
1 can tuna (solid white in water)
1 can cream of celery soup
1/2 C milk
1/2 C mayonnaise
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1/4 t garlic powder
1/2 C chopped celery
1/3 C chopped onions
1/4 C chopped green pepper
6oz flat noodles (3C dry)
3/4-1C shredded cheddar cheese (4oz)
Topping: 2 T butter, melted
          1/2 C breadcrumbs
Begin by bringing salted water to a boil for the
 noodles. Cook the noodles for 8 minutes. 
Meanwhile in a large bowl whisk together the 
soup, milk, mayo, and seasonings. Whisk in
 the vegetables. Stir in the tuna, breaking
 up any large chunks. Add the drained noodles, 
stir to combine. Add the cheese, stir again. 
Add to a greased 2qt shallow casserole. 
Top with buttered breadcrumbs. 
Bake at 400º for 20 minutes. 
Serves 4-6
Enjoy!

Links: Between Naps On The Porch,
Facebook, 

8 comments:

  1. I wish I could get my husband to eat tuna - he hates it - something like this I make for myself for lunch and reheat it for several days for leftovers

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I have to make this at least once a year for old times sake. I even bake it in a corningware dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This certainly is classic. It is pure comfort. One of my brothers favorites!
    Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me this is ultimate comfort food! Now I want to make it. Need some shredded cheese and the soup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so tasty, thank you. And I love that it's in the old corningware dish. I would love to get a set of the old-school corningware dishes, in the different sizes. They were the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is perfect comfort food that we love too. I just pinned it.
    Thanks for sharing my friend.
    Have a great weekend ahead.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  7. My in laws are coming down next week and I would really like to make something really good for then, they are also vegetarian . I want to make a good impression on them since I only see them a couple of times. I hope that I can get some help with deciding. http://www.grettamoss.com/blog/recipes

    ReplyDelete