Pages

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Brown Sugar Glazed Meatloaf

We love meatloaf. Whenever I make meatloaf
 I always wonder why I don't make it more often. 
It's easy, it can be mixed up earlier in the day and
 baked when we're ready, and it smells great!  
It also gives us leftovers for great sandwiches 
the next day. Here's another one of my favorites. 
This one has a sweet BBQ-like glaze. I usually 
double the glaze ingredients so that we'll have
 extra to drizzle over the slices and also have
 some for the sandwiches on toasted bread.
I use saltine crackers in this one. I always
 save the little cellophane crackers that
you get with chili or soups.
Now you now what to do with them.
 You'll need a small onion, chopped.
 Combine all the ingredients.
Mix well with a fork.
 Plop the mixture into a shallow casserole 
and shape into a loaf
 Combine the glaze ingredients. I doubled it this
 time so that we'd have extra for spooning on each
slice and for the meatloaf sandwiches the next day.
  Spoon the glaze over the meatloaf covering it completely.
If you've doubled the ingredients, heat the 
remaining sauce until bubbly.
 Bake @350º for 1 hour. I scooped up the brown 
meat juices and added that to the remaining sauce.
 Remove to a platter and let sit for about 5 minutes.
Slice
 Moist thick slices.
 Sprinkle with chopped fresh rosemary.
 (The lumps are the added meat juices)
Serve with mashed potatoes and drizzle
extra sauce over the slices. 

Brown Sugar Glazed Meatloaf
2 lbs ground beef
1 onion, chopped
2 eggs
3/4 C crushed saltine crackers (about 18-20)
3/4 C milk
1-1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1/2 t ginger
Combine all ingredients until well mixed. Shape into a
loaf and put in a shallow casserole. Top with glaze
completely covering. Bake @350º for 1 hr.
Glaze
1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 C ketchup
1 T Worcestershire sauce
Combine in a bowl. Double the recipe
if you want extra sauce for the slices
and for leftover sandwiches.
1 sprig fresh rosemary, sprigs removed from the stem
and chopped for sprinkling on top.

Enjoy!


5 comments:

  1. This looks great Rita! We love a good meatloaf recipe and this is so different I love it. Can't wait to make it. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made this for dinner tonight. It was delicious! Glad we have leftovers. It will be dinner (fried) again tomorrow. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this meatloaf for dinner last night and had to drag myself away from the leftovers! I thought my Dad's meatloaf was great -- this ranks right up there with his.

    jaime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jaime for the nice comment. The leftovers are fought over here at our house. ;)

      Delete