Pages

Monday, January 26, 2015

Crock Pot Coconut Curry Chicken

This is the same recipe I've made on the stove top
and posted here except today I made it in the
crock pot. Couldn't be easier and just as delicious!
I thought I'd share how easily it is to convert
a braised recipe to the crock pot. Even easier is the
 fact that everything is pretty much just thrown in;
no extra browning or sauteing in a separate pan.
 I always like to season the chicken with
 salt and pepper before I add more seasonings.
Evenly sprinkle on the the seasonings.
Scatter on the chopped onion, apple, and garlic
Combine the broth and the coconut milk.
Pour over all.
Cover and cook on low for 6 hours
Combine the cornstarch with water and
stir into the pot. Return lid and cook on 
high for 15 minutes to thicken.
Serve over rice and sprinkle on a
generous amount of chopped cilantro.

Crock Pot Coconut Curry Chicken
8 chicken thighs, skinned
1-1/2 t salt
1-1/2 t sugar
1 t ginger
1/2 t pepper
1/2 t garlic powder or
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 t cayenne pepper
2 T curry powder
1 large apple, peeled and chopped
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
1 C coconut milk
1 C chicken broth
3 T cornstarch, for thickening

Place the chicken thighs in a large crock pot.
Sprinkle evenly with seasonings. Add the chopped
apple, onion, and garlic. Heat 1 C water in  a 2C
 glass measuring cup with 1 t chicken bullion to
make 1 C broth. Add (1C) coconut milk to the
2C line and combine. Pour evenly over the
contents in the crock pot. Cover and cook on
low at least 6 hours. Combine the 3T
cornstarch with about 1/2 C cold water.
Add to the crock pot stirring to blend
Cook on high for 15 minutes to thicken.
Serve over rice and top with
chopped fresh cilantro.
serves 4

Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. Hi Rita, I tried your recipe last night, it was delicious! I made it stove top. Next time I will use my crock pot. It was very easy and the only changes I made were that I used chicken breasts (sliced before sautéing), and I added some sliced fresh mushrooms with the onions and apples. I used Penzey's new Now Curry. It was fabulous. If you haven't tried Penzey's Spices, I highly recommend them. I received the curry for free with my online order. They always have something new for cooks to try. I have no connection to Penzey's, I just love their stuff. Thanks for all your wonderful recipes. Every thing I have tried always turns out beautifully and is so tasty. I love your step by step instructions with pictures. Happy Holidays to you! Karen from Oregon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen for letting me know you liked it.
      Your additions sound tasty.

      Delete