Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

German Spaetzle

Spaetzle With Chicken Paprikash
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This German classic is a light, small
dumpling-like noodle, wonderful with roasts
and chicken, or anything that has a sauce. 
This recipe will be enough for 3-4 servings,
but I usually make a double amount and
put extras into Ziplock bags and store
 them flat in the freezer.
Combine the eggs, water and salt in a medium bowl.
 Whisk with a fork.
Stir in the flour. It should be a wet dough
 that you can stir with a fork. 
If it's too stiff add a little more water.
Ist das nicht ein Spatzle maker? 
Ja das ist ein Spatzle maker.
The spaetzle maker fits over the rim of the pot.
 Put the dough into the square hopper of the
 spaetzle maker over a large pot
of boiling salted water.
 Quickly slide the hopper back and forth
grating the dough over the holes
and into the boiling water. 
Let the water come to a boil again then
 let the spaetzle cook for one minute. 
After they rise to the top the are done!
 Use a slotted spoon to strain the spaetzle 
out of the water and into a serving bowl.  
Repeat process with any remaining batter.
You can butter, salt and pepper now or just 
serve along with the sauce of you main dish.
You can also saute them in butter and season.
Spaetzle with Pork Roast and Gravy
Spaetzleit's a nice alternative to potatoes, rice or pasta.


Spaetzle
2 eggs
1/2 -3/4 C water
1/2 t salt
2 C flour
Whisk the eggs, 1/2C water and salt with a
fork in a medium bowl. Add the flour and stir
 until a sticky dough forms. Add more water if
the dough is too thick to stir with a fork.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
Put the dough into the holder of the spaetzle
 maker and quickly rub back and forth to press
 the dough through the holes. Let the water
 return to a boil. The spaetzle will rise to the
top when they are about done. This will take
about one minute, then skim them out of
the water and into a serving bowl. Repeat
with the remaining dough.
 *You can also use a tin can and press the
dough through the holes in the can. 
You can also serve spaetzle with
a little butter, salt and pepper.
Leftover spaetzle can be heated in the
 microwave or sauteed in a little butter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't be afraid to try these. They are very easy
 to make and only take about 5 minutes to prepare.
If you are lucky enough to find a spaetzle maker
 they go really fast. I found one in a thrift
 store for $1, probably because no one
knew what it was!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here's a way to make a homemade
 spaetzle maker out of a tin can.
Clean and wash a large tin can and punch
large holes in the bottom the about size of
 a pencil with a large screw driver or pick.
 Put the dough in and push it through the holes
into the boiling water using a large rubber
spatula. You can also use a colander
 with very large holes. 

Guten Appetit!

Links: Facebook, Rattlebridge Farm,
Between Naps On The Porch

8 comments:

  1. My husband would love these. His father was of German decent. He always is looking for these little bits of German culture. Looks delicious and easy. I bet ebay has loads of Spaetzle makers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rita that is one cool looking Spaetzle maker,and delish recipe,I've never had this before,but I sure would love to give it a try,YUM.
    ~JO @ LazyonLoblolly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rita, I LOVE Spaetzle, but have never made this. I'm going to give this a try with your great tutelage! I heard you can use a colander to push the dough through so I'll give this a try. I'm putting this recipe ON THE MENU. Look for it the week of Oct. 3rd with a link back to this delicious post! Thanks so much!
    Remember to grab my button: "I've been featured at StoneGable" on my side bar!
    This is one of the yummiest blogs!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rita, stopping by via StoneGable. I just love Spaetzle and don't make it nearly often enough. I even have a special Spaetzle press purchased for me by my friends in Abstatt. It's like a giant garlic press. LOL!

    With cooler weather upon us, I think it's definitely Spaetzle time. Thanks for the tip about freezing half. I never would have thought of that and it is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dropping by at the request of StoneGable blog....so glad I did!!
    I made Spaetzle many years ago and don't know why I stopped...will definitely be on my menu very soon. Somewhere in my pantry is a Spaetzle tool....
    Also just joined your blog to receive e-mail. Looking forward to catching up on your previous postings and new ones. Judy Beatty, Houston, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so delicious! We grew up on SPAETZLE! I have tried several recipes, but this looks really good! Thank YOU! Visiting from Yvonne's linky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought spaetzle makers on-line last year for myself, and a friend for about $5. apiece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, Rita.

    I found an old spaetzle maker in my late mother-in-law's kitchen two weeks ago. I promised my husband that I'll make some for him, which I did today. That and Oma's Goulash... mmmm. Excellent!

    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete