Pages

Monday, December 26, 2011

Mushroom Business

Here's something other than  potatoes to serve
 along with your roast beef. 
 This is a savory mushroom strata/bread pudding/
side dish/casserole....a mushroom business. 
It's another oldie but goodie recipe from 
Peg Bracken's cookbook of 1966.
 You can prepare it in the morning or the day before.
 Love anything I can make ahead.
 Butter 6 slices of bread.
 Cut the bread into squares.
 Put half the bread into a buttered 8" square casserole.
 Slice the mushrooms. I used a little over half of a
 1-lb package that I had leftover. 
Saute the sliced mushrooms until fragrant,
 about 3 minutes.
 Add the chopped celery, onions, salt, and pepper.
Stir in the mayonnaise.
 Spread this mixture over the bread squares. 
 Top with the remaining bread.
 Slightly beat the 2 eggs and 
combine with 1-1/2 C milk.
 Pour over the bread. 
Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
 About 1 hour and 15 minutes before you want to 
serve it, spread the top with the mushroom soup.
 Bake uncovered for 50 minutes at 325.
 Remove from oven and sprinkle the top with
 cheese. I used Cheddar or a Cheddar/Jack blend.
Whatever you have on hand...Swiss, Parmesan, etc.
 Return to the oven for another 10-15 minutes
 until nicely puffed. Serve.
Double the recipe and use a 9X13 casserole.
Mushroom Business
1/2- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced
Butter, about 2 T
1/2 C chopped onions
1/2 C chopped celery
1/2 C mayonnaise
3/4 t salt
1/4 t pepper
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1-1/2 C milk
6 slices white bread
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 C shredded cheese (your choice)

Lightly butter the bread slices and cut 
them into 1-inch squares. Put half of them
 (3 slices) into the bottom of a buttered
8" square casserole. Saute the cut-up
mushrooms in a skillet with 1 T butter
 until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
Turn off the heat and stir in the chopped
onions and celery, salt and pepper.
Then stir in the mayonnaise.
Spread this mixture on top of the
 bread squares. Top with the remaining bread
 squares. Pour over this the two eggs slightly
 beaten with the 1-1/2 C milk. Cover and
refrigerate at least an hour or overnight.
Finally, an hour and 15 minutes before 
you want to serve it spread the 
mushroom soup on top. Bake uncovered  325 
for 50 minutes, then remove from oven 
and sprinkle with the cheese. Return to oven 
and bake another 10-15 minutes until nicely puffed.

6 servings

Enjoy!
note: The original recipe also had 1/2 C
chopped green pepper.
 It's optional. If I have it I use it.

Links: A Stroll Thru Life,
Coastal Charm, Between Naps On The Porch,
Designs By Gollum, Funky Junk


4 comments:

  1. Oh this looks soooooooooo good. I will definitely give it a try. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love strata recipes. Always serve a breakfast strata Christmas morning because it is such an easy make ahead. I never thought of making one as a side dish. This is a great one to try this new year. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love strata recipes. Always serve a breakfast strata Christmas morning because it is such an easy make ahead. I never thought of making one as a side dish. This is a great one to try this new year. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rita, this sounds delicious. I'm new to your blog, so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I really enjoyed the time I spent here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete