Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Kreppel for Fastnacht!

I posted about this holiday tradition on my blog
Kreppel are a German yeast doughnut made on 
Fastnacht also called Fat Tuesday. 
We know it as Mardi Gras. 
It's always celebrated on the Tuesday 
before Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent.
My plateful of warm Kreppel.
 My Aunt and Uncle in Germany sent me pictures 
of their Kreppel making day.
 They make perfect Kreppel. Years of making them.
 Some are filled with jam. All are rolled in sugar.
Ready for family and friends to stop by for coffee.

Now it's my turn to make them.....here goes!
I just made half of this recipe.
German Kreppel
4-1/2 C flour
1 pkg yeast 
1 stick butter
2 T sugar 
1/2 t salt
1/4 t vanilla
2 eggs
3/4 C milk
In mixer, combine the flour, sugar and yeast. 
In a saucepan or microwave, melt the butter.  
Whisk in the milk, salt, vanilla, and eggs. 
Let cool to lukewarm, then add to the mixer.
 Mix on low speed until the flour is combined. 
Turn the speed up to medium-high and 
beat well for about 5 minutes until smooth. 
Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm area
for 30 minutes or until doubled.
Remove the dough to a floured surface 
and knead briefly.
 Roll out to about 3/4" thickness.
Cut into circles using a juice glass dipped in flour. 
Place the cut Kreppel on a parchment paper lined 
or oiled cookie sheet to keep from sticking.
 Cover again with a towel.
Let rise for another 30 minutes. 
Ready to cook.

To Cook:
Heat 2" of vegetable oil in a medium saucepan. I use 1/2 Crisco and 1/2 oil.
Test the temperature of the oil with a small scrap of dough. It should sizzle.
Gently add the Kreppel to the hot oil without
them touching each other. 
Fry both sides about 1 minute until golden.  
Remove with a slotted spoon and place on
 paper towel-lined plate to drain. 
Roll in a plate of sugar to coat. 
 Best eaten while still warm.
A great coffee break or breakfast treat.


Enjoy! 
Just don't wait for Fastnacht to make them again!




Links: Foodie Friday,
Between Naps On The Porch


11 comments:

  1. Rita, thanks so much for sharing this great recipe and the photos of your aunt and uncle preparing Kreppel. I cannot wait to try this recipe, although since I am currently dieting, I am going to have to wait. But, I'm putting this one to the top of the list to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I knew in Germany that on Tuesday before Ash Wednesday they had "doughnuts" -- but had never seen them before so thanks for sharing. Love your family photos! And I could have gladly shared doughnuts and coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your donuts are beautiful! Love the pretty plate too:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, so easy and they look delicious! I think if I served my husband warm donuts, he would be in heaven! Love the photos of your aunt and uncle! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh these do look good! love the sweet photo of your Aunt & Uncle :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am making these as I type this and my dough so far looks nothing like yours D:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine didn't either ...VERY Dry. I think there is too much flour, maybe forgot to half that part???

      Delete
  7. My mother used to make these when I was a child, we considered them a huge treat! I've been looking for the recipe to years, thank you for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look wonderful. Is the recipe posted the full or half version?

    ReplyDelete