Pages

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Poulet Jardin...a.k.a. Chicken Garden Skillet

The first time I ate this was at my future mother-in-law's. Helen is a great cook. I recently had the pleasure of visiting her at her home in North Carolina and rediscovered this recipe. It was called Chicken Garden Skillet then, but now has a fancier name...Poulet Jardin.  Either way, it's delicious!
Cut up a chicken. I skinned it too.
Sprinkle generously with seasoned salt and shake in flour.
I used my electric skillet. Brown the chicken.
Turn until golden on both sides.
Add the broth and sherry, cover and cook 45 minutes.
Add the vegetables.  Season with salt and pepper.
Cover and let cook another 15-20 minutes.
Serve with rice. You will have lots of yummy sauce. I also like a salad and crescent rolls with this, because that's what I had the first time I ate it at Helen's. Foodies have great memories!

Enjoy!

Poulet Jardin
(Chicken Garden Skillet)
1 chicken, about 3-4 lbs, cut-up
2 T butter
2 T oil
seasoned salt
flour
1 C chicken broth
1 C  dry sherry
1/2 green pepper, sliced
2 tomatoes, quartered
1 onion, sliced
1 pkg.  frozen artichoke hearts

Sprinkle the chicken with seasoned salt (I skin the chicken) and dredge in flour (about 1/2 C)
Brown in butter and oil (350 if using an electric skillet). Brown on both sides.
Add the broth (I used 1 bullion cube in I C hot water), and sherry.
Cover and simmer (250 on electric skillet) for 45 minutes.
Add vegetables, season them with salt and pepper and push them into the broth.
Cover and simmer another 15-20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
Serve over rice.








5 comments:

  1. Wow Nice dishes in your blog posted thanks for share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks yummy and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What could you use other than artichoke hearts? Not a fan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ate this as a child, we called it soggy chicken. Still love it to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use marinated artichokes instead of frozen, like the flavor it gives

    ReplyDelete