Pages

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Million Dollar Meatballs

I clipped this recipe from the Chicago Tribune
many years ago. It's a nice comfort dish
that's a change-up from my usual tomato
sauced Italian meatballs. I think it got it's
name because of the green spinach, or
 because it was the winning recipe.
Either way these are a winner.
I like to serve the meatballs and gravy
over flat noodles or mashed potatoes.
This uses an envelope of brown gravy mix
and lemon juice for great flavor.
 Combine; ground beef, breadcrumbs, parmesan
cheese, spinach, onion, seasonings, and eggs.
I use my hands to mix.
Roll into about 1-1/2" meatballs.
Heat 3T oil in a large skillet and brown the meatballs.
Spoon off any excess fat. 
Add 1-1/4 C water, the envelope of brown gravy 
mix and 2 T lemon juice. Stir to blend well and let
simmer for about 15-20 minutes to finish cooking
 the meatballs. I you like lots of gravy, (and 
who doesn't?), just double the gravy ingredients.
While they were simmering I made parmesan
mashed potatoes. Just add sour cream, garlic
salt, pepper, butter, and parmesan cheese to 
the cooked potatoes. Mash, adding a little milk
if needed. I like to use the the old-fashioned
hand potato masher. It's quicker than getting 
out the mixer and I find I make mashed
potatoes more often. It just seems like less fuss. 
Million Dollar Meatballs
1-1/2 lbs. ground beef
2 medium eggs
1/2 C breadcrumbs
1/4 C Parmesan cheese
1 T minced onion, fresh or dried
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1/4 t nutmeg
1 box frozen chopped spinach, 
-thawed and squeezed dry.
Combine all ingredients and mix well; form into 
1-1/2" meatballs and brown in 3 T hot oil in a large 
saucepan, turning to brown sides. Spoon out 
any excess fat. To the pan add:
1-1/4 C water
1 envelope brown gravy mix
 2 T lemon juice
 Stir the three ingredients into the pan; mix well. 
Simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes , stirring 
occasionally until the meatballs are cooked 
through. Serve over buttered noodles 
or mashed potatoes. If you like lots of
gravy, double the gravy ingredients.
Serves 4
Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Million dollar meatballs sound wonderful; especially over Parmesan mashed potatoes.
    Blessings dear. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love meatballs! YUM!! Your recipe sounds wonderful. The mashed potatoes sound marvelous to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love meatballs and I'm always in the look out for new recipes and yours sound yummy, Rita May!
    Thanks for sending me the récipe, I will soon try it!
    Have a lovely weekend ahead.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there a substitute for spinach?
    My mother-in-law would make meatballs with raisins and pine cone nuts.

    Gone to try escarole for the spinach.

    J

    ReplyDelete